Vivian Bucay, MD, FAAD, describes how the Pelleve Wrinkle Reduction System demonstrates versatility and return on investment for your practice.
The Pellevé® Wrinkle Reduction System from Ellman, A Cynosure Company, is a skin tightening* system for non‑ablative skin revitalization that utilizes advanced radiofrequency (RF) technology to target fine lines, wrinkles, and aging skin. It is FDA cleared for the non-ablative treatment of mild to moderate facial wrinkles and rhytids. Pellevé precisely delivers heat to the deep dermal tissue to induce collagen contraction and regeneration without damaging the epidermis. The result is smoother skin with noticeable wrinkle reduction and visible improvement in skin quality.
One of the features unique to the Pellevé S5 System is its ability to straddle the line between doctor performed and aesthetician performed procedures, yet command a higher overall value to the patient/customer†. Few treatments are able to produce results as significant as Pellevé, while sitting squarely in the aesthetician’s realm.
Pellevé is a highly versatile system that delivers continuous radiofrequency energy so that the clinician can customize how much energy is delivered to specific areas of focus. Using proprietary GlideSafe® handpieces, heat is gradually delivered into the deep layers of skin, stimulating new collagen growth and tightening* skin. The gradual heat delivery ensures that the treatment is not only painless but pleasant for the patient. The handpieces feature an innovative sensor that stops energy flow when the device senses loss of contact with skin, resulting in increased comfort during treatment.
The versatility of having four handpiece sizes (7.5 mm, 10 mm, 15 mm, and 20 mm) with which to work with is another advantage. By using a combination of the different GlideSafe handpieces, each patient treatment can be customized so that specific areas of concern can be addressed, resulting in just the right amount of energy delivered to achieve the desired effect. The small handpieces are ideal for maneuvering around the contours of the face, including areas that are difficult to access, such as the periorbital and perioral regions, where fine lines are a common complaint. The larger handpieces are optimized for the mid-face, forehead, and jowl areas.
The versatile Pellevé System can also be used as a high frequency surgical generator for various cosmetic procedures requiring soft tissue cutting or coagulation. Based on Ellman’s Surgitron® technology platform, the 4 MHz high frequency waveforms result in less collateral thermal damage than standard electrosurgical generators. Many dermatology and family practice groups find it especially valuable for minor surgical procedures including treatment of telangiectasias and the removal of nevi, seborrheic keratoses, and other small lesions.
The Pellevé S5 System can also be used for more invasive surgical procedures, such as blepharoplasty. It offers precise and detailed control in delivering heat, as well as cutting with extreme accuracy. A skin incision can be made through the orbicularis muscle down to the tarsus using the 4 MHz RF technology. With the waveform setting on ‘coag’, the Pellevé system can be used to remove fat and maintain hemostasis, allowing for a less traumatic procedure while maintaining visualization.
Based on the success and widespread adoption of the Pellevé System, the PelleFirm RF Body Treatment was introduced and is powered by the same Pellevé S5 RF Generator as the Pellevé Wrinkle Reduction handpieces. PelleFirm provides a non-invasive, painless treatment for the body, resulting in smoother skin and temporary improvement in the appearance of cellulite. This innovative system is comprised of two large diameter handpieces sized for the body that elevate tissue temperature up to 45 degrees Celsius, coupled with mechanical massage heads for treatment of areas with cellulite. PelleFirm can address almost any area of the body and is ideally suited for problem zones, including the abdomen, arms, buttocks, and thighs. It has been demonstrated to be safe for all skin types. Like Pellevé, a PelleFirm RF Body Treatment system effectively delivers visible results with no pain or downtime for a wide range of patients.
As demonstrated above, the Pellevé S5 System provides exceptional value to a practice, more than any other single RF device available.
High patient satisfaction
Any new piece of capital equipment or procedure has to fill an unmet need in your practice. Pellevé fits well into both a new or established aesthetic practice. It is especially good for patients who are not ready for or who are resistant to deeper resurfacing procedures that can have side effects, such as edema, erythema, and downtime; or who may have time constraints that don’t allow for longer procedures on the day of the consultation. Many patients welcome the option of starting their revitalization treatment protocol immediately, and without any downtime. They appreciate that the treatment is quick, affordable, and comfortable, and they are able to go back to their normal routines immediately without any signs of treatment. In some cases, there is an immediate improvement after the first treatment.
Aestheticians, nurses and ancillary staff can also take advantage of the ability to build on their practices with the addition of Pellevé and PelleFirm. Patients may initially come for skincare services, graduate to Pellevé, and then start more invasive cosmetic treatments, such as injectables and lasers. This is one of the few aesthetic procedures that can be delegated to physician extenders† and acts as a ‘gateway’ to larger procedures.
Many practices have positioned Pellevé as an entry-level treatment for patients who do not want invasive or painful procedures, or procedures that will incur downtime. Pellevé can be promoted as being able to deliver consistent, natural looking, visible results. It is a non-invasive treatment that is comfortable and provides a noticeable improvement after a series of treatments. It is important that results match patient expectations.
In most practices, Pellevé is performed by nurses and aestheticians. One of the main benefits for the busy dermatologist or aesthetic practitioner is that the procedure can be safely delegated to physician extenders, and thus provides an income stream not dependent on the physician being hands-on. Patients enjoy the treatment and the results and continue to come back. It is a simple procedure for the staff to perform, and patients frequently comment that it actually feels good, like a warm massage.
As a key benefit to the Pellevé treatment, there is often an immediate reduction in the visibility of wrinkles. Over the course of 6 months, patients continue to see improvements in skin smoothness and quality. Although some patients see improvement in a single treatment session, most practitioners recommend a series of three to four treatments spaced 3 to 4 weeks apart, based on individual skin needs. Additionally, an ongoing maintenance program is advisable to keep patients coming back to the practice over the long-term.
With Pellevé, visible skin improvements can be accomplished in under an hour, at an affordable price and with no downtime, which meets the high expectations patients are looking for today. Overall, most practitioners report that patients feel that they look younger, more refreshed and their skin feels smoother. The procedure can be marketed as an ‘add on’ to larger cosmetic procedures, and it bridges the gap for those patients who do not want or cannot have more invasive procedures, as well as for patients who desire maintenance after neurotoxins, fillers or lasers.
Practice growth through treatment bundling
Many practitioners have seen how quickly the investment in Pellevé has paid off. For example, patients come in asking what can be done to reverse the signs of aging around the eyes, such as crow’s feet and a crepey appearance. With Pellevé, patients can achieve tightening* around the eyes, which opens up a practice to a whole new segment of patients.
Another advantage of Pellevé is that it is ideal for bundling with other aesthetic treatments, including peels, neurotoxins and dermal fillers, as well as medical grade skincare and laser resurfacing. Pellevé fits well into the paradigm of non-invasive rejuvenation treatments and offers a nice ‘entry point’ to accessing cosmetic services. It is an affordable treatment for patients, costing much less than many other skin tightening procedures and lasers. By combining several non-invasive or minimally invasive therapies, aesthetic practices are continually improving skin function and appearance and keeping patients engaged in the practice and coming back.
* via soft tissue coagulation; †varies from state to state; check local regulations
- Vega JM, Bucay VW, Mayoral FA. Prospective Multicenter Study for Safety & Efficacy Unique RF Device for Hand Wrinkles. J Drugs Dermatol 2013; 12(1): 24–26
- Taub AF, Tucker RD, Palange A. Facial Tightening With an Advanced 4-MHz Monopolar Radiofrequency Device. J Drugs Dermatol 2012; 11(11): 1288–1294
- Javate RM, Cruz RT. Use of an Imaging Device after Nonablative Radiofrequency (Pellevé) Treatment For Periorbital Rhytids. American Society of Ophthalmic Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery Annual Fall Scientific Symposium Presentation, October 2011
- Goldstein SM. Ocular Surface Temperature Changes Associated with Pellevé Radiofrequency Treatment. American Society of Ophthalmic Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery Annual Fall Scientific Symposium Presentation, October 2011.
- Jeremić I. New RF System for Dermal Tightening: Review of Technique and Results from 1000 Patients. European Academy of Dermatology and Venereology Presentation, October 2011
- Chipps L, Prather HB, So JJ, Schouest J, Bentow J, Moy RL. A Novel Application of Radiofrequency Using a Continuous Thermal Treatment Device for Skin Tightening of the Face and Neck Assessed with 3D Photography. European Academy of Dermatology and Venereology Meeting Presentation, October 2011
- Tucker RD. A New Radio Frequency Electrosurgery Generator. European Academy of Dermatology and Venereology Presentation, October 2011
- Waddell S, Frentzen J. New RF-Based Handpiece Shows Promise. Plastic Surgery Practice, October 2011
- Chipps L. Novel Nonablative Radiofrequency Rejuvenation Device: Clinical Evaluation And Patient Satisfaction. American Academy of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery Meeting Presentation, September 2011
- Jeremic I. Multi-Probe Technique with a New RF System: A Retrospective Study of 1200 Skin Tightening Patients. American Academy of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery Meeting Presentation, September 2011
- Stampar M. The Pelleve Procedure: an Effective Method for Facial Wrinkle Reduction and Skin Tightening. Facial Plastic Surgery Clinics of North Facial Plast Surg Clin North Am. 2011 May;19(2):335-45
- Javate RM. Histopathological Analysis of Tissue Before and After Pellevé Treatment Ellman International, Inc. Clinical Summary White Paper, April 2011
- Lewis W. Next Generation of Pellevé Wrinkle Reduction Technology. Practice Surgery Practice Supplement, April 2011
- Javate RM. Non-Ablative Treatment for Periorbital Rhytides and Midface Laxity. Ellman International, Inc. Clinical Summary White Paper, April 2011
- Javate RM, Cruz RT, Khan J, Trakos N, Gordon RE. Nonablative 4-MHz Dual Radiofrequency Wand Rejuvenation Treatment for Periorbital Rhytides and Midface Laxity. Ophthal Plast Reconstr Surg 2011; 27(3): 180–5
- Rusciani A, Curinga G, Menichini G, Alfano C, Rusciani L. Nonsurgical Tightening of Skin Laxity: A New Radiofrequency Approach. J Drugs Dermatol 2007; 6(4): 381–6
- Moy R, Fincher EF. Cosmetic blepharoplasty. Dermatol Clin 2005; 23(3): 431–42, vi